David Renna

I am ready for an exciting semester.

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Module 5: Conversion of LIDAR to Raster Image


This is Module 5 LIDAR Challenge Assignment. We were required to take raw LIDAR data and transform it into a raster image in ArcMap. I first imported the data into Excel and added the appropriate headings. This made the data easily importable into ArcMap. Then using the Inverse Distance Weighted (IDW) tool in the spatial analysis tool set,
I was able to produce a rastere image of the data points. I set the symbolism to stretched and chose an appropriate color ramp to highlight features. Then in ArcCatalog, I created 3 new shapefiles(Water,Dunes, and Road). I added ighlighted the the new shapefiles to my map and edited the specific features. I then added a grid as instructed spreading the grid interval a bit. I then added all other required features like north arrow and legends, scale bar and text. I also added a small description of what the image was and how it was produced. Finally, I highlighted the features in the image that were identified such as the road,waters, and sand dunes. I only had problems with projection. Like most, I got a scale of over 4400 miles at first. I went back and redid the image with the correct WGS 1984 UTM Zone 16n projection in Universal Tranverse Mercator and did not have any other issues.

No comments:

Post a Comment